Explore the world of solar-powered security cameras. Learn about their features, types, and factors to consider when buying. Discover how these cutting-edge devices provide uninterrupted surveillance without the hassle of wiring and rising electricity costs. Embrace sustainable home security solutions today.
Enhance Your Home Security with Solar-Powered Cameras
As security solutions evolve, homeowners seek reliable and sustainable ways to protect their properties and loved ones.
With the need for uninterrupted surveillance without the hassle of wiring and ever-rising electricity bills, solar-powered security cameras have come to stay.
These cutting-edge devices combine the convenience of surveillance technology with the eco-friendly benefits of solar energy.
This article covers the essential things you need to know about solar-powered security cameras:
- Their features and types
- The benefits they offer
- Factors to consider when buying one
Features of Solar-Powered Security Cameras
Solar-powered security cameras offer various features that enhance their functionality and convenience. You’ll find some of these common features in solar-powered security cameras:
Solar panel: Every solar-powered security camera is equipped with or connected to a solar panel that converts solar energy to electrical energy.
They usually have a built-in solar panel or an external one—often mounted on top of the camera or beside it.
Rechargeable battery: Solar-powered cameras use rechargeable batteries to store the excess energy solar panels generate. This energy is used when there is little or no sunlight.
HD video quality: Many solar-powered security cameras offer high-definition (HD) video quality, higher than standard-definition (SD).
HD video quality ensures that the camera captures clear and detailed footage of anything within its field of view.
Night vision: To provide 24/7 surveillance, most solar-powered security cameras have infrared (IR) LEDs and other night vision technologies. This feature allows the camera to capture clear images in low-light environments and at night.
Motion detection: Motion sensors in solar-powered security cameras help them detect motion within their monitoring range.
If your security camera is part of a home security system, it can set off an alarm or send a notification to your smartphone when it detects motion.
Wireless connectivity: Solar-powered security cameras often support wireless connectivity, such as Wi-Fi or cellular networks, for remote access and monitoring.
Weatherproof design: Solar-powered security cameras are built with durable materials and are designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
They usually have an ingress protection (IP) rating, which indicates how well they’re protected against water and dust.
Storage options: Some solar-powered security cameras offer multiple storage options for recorded footage. You can store footage locally on an SD card or a secure cloud server.
Two-way audio: This allows the operator or viewer to communicate with the camera in real-time.
The viewer can listen to audio from the camera’s location and speak to anyone nearby using the microphone on their connected device. The audio from the viewer plays through the camera’s built-in speaker.
Types of Solar-powered Security Cameras
Let’s see some types of solar-powered security cameras.
- Outdoor solar-powered security cameras: They are designed for use outside the house or in open spaces. Outdoor solar-powered security cameras have high IP ratings and can withstand extreme temperatures.
- Indoor solar-powered security cameras: They are mounted inside residential buildings and offices. They use external solar panels mounted outside where they can receive sunlight. The camera and solar panel are connected via a cable.
- Wireless solar-powered security cameras: These cameras connect to solar panels without any physical wires. The solar panels are usually mounted close to the cameras.
Benefits of Solar-Powered Security Cameras
You’ll enjoy these benefits when you use solar-powered security cams:
- Energy efficiency: Security cameras powered by solar energy are built with power-efficient components. They also have power-saving features such as motion-activated recording to reduce power consumption when they are not in use.
- Cost savings: Solar-powered security cameras do not depend on electricity from a central grid so you can save money on electricity bills.
- Safer environment: Solar-powered cameras are environmentally friendly because they use renewable energy from the sun and reduce global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Their long lifespan also reduces electronic waste.
- Uninterrupted surveillance: Solar-powered surveillance cameras do not experience power outages, so they provide round-the-clock functionality.
- Low maintenance costs: Compared to traditional cameras that require electricity, solar-powered cameras are cheaper to maintain because they’re designed to work with minimal intervention.
- Long battery life: Depending on the model and brand, solar cameras have batteries that can keep them running for several hours to weeks without needing to be recharged by the sun.
- Versatility: Solar-powered cameras are self-sufficient. Therefore, they can be installed in remote areas with limited electricity supply.
- Remote monitoring: Solar-powered security cameras use wireless connectivity and can be monitored remotely using a mobile application or web interface.
- Integration with other systems: You can easily integrate solar-powered security cameras into your home security system for a more comprehensive security network.
- Increased property value: Installing solar-powered security cameras in your home or office can increase the property’s value as they provide an added layer of security.
- Easy installation: Most solar-powered security cameras have mounting brackets and other hardware to secure them to walls, posts, and other surfaces. The fact that they don’t require extensive wiring or access to electrical outlets also makes the process straightforward.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Solar-Powered Security Camera
Below are some essential factors that should influence your decision when shopping for a solar-powered security camera.
There are solar-powered cameras that cost less than $100 and others that cost well over $200. For example, Boifun’s solar camera retails for only $70, while Ring Stick Up Cam Solar costs $140.
Some solar cameras also come in packs for those who need more than one to monitor different locations. Kittyhok offers four solar home security cameras for $370.
The most expensive solar-powered security camera is not necessarily the best. Consider options that fit your budget and still get the job done.
Aside from the money you pay upfront to purchase your solar camera, there can be recurrent costs like subscription fees.
Some companies charge users a subscription fee before they can remotely monitor and control their cameras or access certain functions on the app.
Always check to ensure you know about any expenses you may be required to make after buying a solar-powered camera unit to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Features and Functionality
Modern solar-powered cameras come with a range of features, and it’s left for you to decide what you need.
Apart from the already mentioned features, other advanced features that solar-powered cameras can have include:
- Intelligent motion detection to distinguish between objects and human beings.
- Facial recognition to identify individuals living on the property and detect unknown faces.
- Privacy masking to exclude certain areas within a camera’s view from being monitored.
- 4K ultra HD (UHD) for sharper and more detailed video recording.
When making your choice, remember that it’s not about the camera with more features. Instead, it’s about the one that meets your unique security needs.
Environment and location
If you live where the weather is often cloudy, you will need a solar camera with a high-efficiency panel that can generate electricity in low-light conditions and a big backup battery for days without sunlight.
The location where you plan to install the camera also matters. Will the camera’s solar panel receive enough sunlight? If the answer is no, you should consider a camera with an external solar panel that you can mount in an appropriate area.
Can the solar-powered security camera be installed by following a simple DIY guide, or must it be done professionally? If it can be done by following a DIY guide, do you have the required skills and tools to perform the task?
Security cameras like the Reolink Argus 2 and its solar panel can be installed in less than 30 minutes by following easy steps that anyone can carry out.
Solar-Powered Security Cameras Are the Future
In a world where people embrace sustainable and eco-friendly products, you can’t ignore solar-powered security cameras.
Solar-powered security cameras can reduce your carbon footprint while effectively monitoring your home.
If you’re passionate about protecting the earth while monitoring your surroundings or want the benefits of solar-powered security cameras, contact us today. We’ll happily recommend the right products for your specific needs and assist you in any other way.
Check out our comprehensive guide for everything you need to know about security cameras.